Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Characters

"The final girl is a horror film (particularly slasher film) trope that specifically refers to the last woman or girl alive to confront the killer, ostensibly the one left to tell the story. The final girl has been observed in dozens of films. The term was coined [2] by Carol J. Clover in her book Men, Women and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film." Wikipedia 

My female character in my opening is going to be connoted as the final girl. Hence why I have chosen for her boyfriend to be killed and not her. She will be seen as virginal, and intelligent, and this will be connoted by her hair colour as well as the clothes she wears. 

The character I chose, Harriot, has brunette her, I will also dress her in a high cut top and cardigan, which are just seen as average clothing, but showing no flesh, this is the opposite to what I would use if I was using a scream queen. The clothes connote Harriot is sexually unavailable. 


This is opposite to what most victims are like, they are usually sexually available and into drugs and alcohol. I could connote this through maybe the boyfriend deciding to drink a can of beer, and Harriot refuses some, all that I shall experiment with whilst filming.


This shows the impact of feminism, and how girls can now be seen as just as strong as men, and not necessarily weaker. 


An example of a final girl would be Laurie Strode from John Carpenter's Halloween. 


 And Nancy Thompson in the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. 
My actress follows these rules as she is brunette, and will show signs of intelligence.


Throughout research I realised that a lot of final girls often have a uni-sex name, showing their power and the same authority as their male counter parts, again such as Laurie in Halloween. 

Therefore I have decided to name my character "Chrissie"

This is my final girl:






My actress's boyfriend, is going to be portrayed as the stereo-typical alpha-male figure, he wants more out of the female actress, but doesn't get it.

I am also going to experiment with him saying that he doesn't actually own the car, bringing in representation of youths being criminals, but also that he is not as virginal or innocent as my female actress.

This brings in many different plots of common slasher movies, of the guy who drinks, swears, smokes etc gets killed. 

For example in Cherry Falls (2000)  straight away in the opening, the male character is trying to get "more" out of the female character and ends up being killed. 


This is also the same later on in Cherry Falls (2000) when Jody Marken (Brittany Murphy) is trying to tell her boyfriend Kenny (Gabriel Mann) that she does not want to have sex with him, she turns out to be the final girl, which is like my female actress, and in turn kills the murderer.

Although he is not the scream queens boyfriend, he wants to have sex with my female actress, connoting he is not innocent, this is almost like the couple in scream Casey (Drew Barrymore) and Steve (Kevin Patrick Walls) who is the first character to be killed in the film. However Casey is a scream queen.


Steve is quite a "jock" kind of guy, seen as alplha-male, this is how I will conhote my male actor, through the use of mise-en-scene. 

Steve:


This is my male actor: Through various research, I have decided to call my actor Brad, I see this as quite a stereotypical male name, and connotes he is quite macho, people may think of actors such as Brad Pitt, when they hear the name. 






































This is my actress and actor:





Both these characters are the right age, they are seventeen, and this is the age I wanted, to connote "youths." They are both from Yorkshire, however, due to me filming near the Cow and Calf rocks, a famous Yorkshire land mark, I feel it does not matter that they have a slight accent.


They are both British, white, middle class, which is what you most often see in horror films.


The killer-

You will not be able to see the face of my killer, or any of his body, this leaves a narrative enigma, as to whom it may be. I have chosen my actor to be Tyrone, he is tall which would suit the role. He is also male, which in most films the killer is male, for instance in Friday the 13th, Jason Voorhees, is the killer. 


Tyrone is non-caucasion, however you will not be able to see him in the opening, but will most probably be visible later on in the film, this may draw in a wider audience as he is not being killed off in the opening which non- Caucasian's usually are.


This is my killer-




I have decided to name my killer, Jason Cringles, as Jason is the name of the killer in Friday the 13th, providing an inter textual link, Cringles is also a place in Yorkshire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment