Vladimir Propp studied fairytales, which continues to influence literary ad media studies today, he said there are seven basic character types:
1) The villain- whom struggles against the hero
2) The donor- whom prepares the hero or gives the hero some magical object
3) The magical helper- whom helps the hero in the quest
4) The princess and her father- whom gives the task to the her, identifies the false hero, marries the hero, often sought for during the narrative. Propp noted that functionally, the princess and the father can not be clearly distinguished
5) The dispatcher- the character who makes the lack known and sends the hero off.
) The hero/victim- who reacts to the donor, and weds the princess
7) False hero- takes credit for the hero's actions or tries to marry the princess